Injured/In Danger Wildlife FAQ

I've found a baby bird on the ground, what should I do?

If not injured or sick, fledglings found below or near a nest are best left where you found them, as their best chance is to be found and reared by their parents. If they are in immediate danger (for instance from traffic or predators), try placing them high up, near the nest, where the parents should be able to find them.

I’ve found an injured wild animal, what should I do?

A great source of information and advice, including contact details for local wildlife rescue groups, is Help Wildlife's website. The website also features an interactive map to help you find the closest rescue group to where you live.

Although they're unable to help directly with injured wildlife, Herefordshire Mammal Group's website also contains useful information, 

The following national organisations offer advice and, in some cases, can provide local help:


British Wildlife Rehabilitation Council

RSPCA (24-hour Emergency Helpline: 0300 1234 999)


Bat Conservation Trust (National Helpline: 0345 1300 228 - Mon-Fri, 09.00-17.30 and until 22.30 for emergencies every day from May to September)




Raptor Rescue (National Helpline: 0870 241 0609 - answerphone outside normal office hours)

Raptor Persecution

Illegal persecution of raptors is a big problem in Scotland and Wales and is becoming more of an issue elsewhere. Scottish Natural Heritage commissioned research by Dr Ruth Tingay of the Raptor Research organisation identified 252 incidents of illegal persecution in Scotland, where there are now proposals for licensing of game bird shooting. In Herefordshire, red kite, buzzard and goshawk persecution is also a problem.

The RSPB is providing a service to collate incidents of raptor persecution right across the UK so, should you come across what you suspect to be such an incident in Herefordshire, please do the following:

I’ve seen a sick or dead wild animal, what should I do?

The Garden Wildlife Health initiative is researching causes of disease in wildlife and invites the public to report dead animals or signs of sickness in live animals by calling the Institute of Zoology on 0207 449 6685 (Monday – Friday, 09.00 -17.00) or use their online form which can be found here:

Project Splatter is asking for people to notify them about wildlife roadkills to help with their project to estimate the numbers of animals being killed in this way.